Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bridget Marquardt - playing an airhead pays




People say that you should always start things on a positive note but in this case I feel "negative" is more in line.

Although in her bio Bridget Marquardt holds a B.A. in communications from California State University Sacramento and a masters degree in communications from the University of the Pacific in Stockton you can certainly tell she is not living off her intellect other than manipulating the masses.

I tend to like the Travel Channel but they seem to be going through an identity crisis. They seem to want to highlight travel but compete with Bravo at the same time, and in turn compete with the Food Network. Stick to what you know.

Bridget's Sexiest Beaches is another example of the Travel Channel trying to reach a demographic by “dumbing down” its content. Increased competition and the introduction of econometric methods have had a major hand in this trend. I will not totally trash it because the show has not premiered so I will follow up this post with a more detailed review.

As much as to say seeing little teasers for a month now have not done much but annoy me. It seems the Travel Channel might dump Samantha Brown because nerdy unattractive women don’t seem to be filling the demographic quotient.

Well I will let my blog partner take over from here.

4 comments:

  1. Ok first, I think Samantha Brown is attractive, lets face it, when it comes to television, producers are not going to hire anyone one isn't attractive, I'm not saying this is right, it is just the fact and a comment on our society.

    More importantly, what does Bridget do that makes her an airhead? Is it because you think she is attractive and blonde? The show seems like fairly cute-typical entertainment/travel show. The previews show Bridget doing similar activities as Samantha; swimming with dolphins, meeting animals, eating, meeting locals, Samantha goes out to night clubs too and has cocktails (see Santiago Chile episode for an example) So my question is what about bridget makes her an airhead? Or do you have a problem with blondes in bikinis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't find Samantha Brown attractive but that is why colors were invented. The reason that producers do what they do has to change and the public has to force that change. By blogging, I am doing my part to make shows like these are exposed for what they are mindless romps that do nothing to educate or inform.

    I didn't say Bridget is an airhead, I said she plays one. I personally don't find her attractive and at no time did the "blonde stereotype" comment ever grace the words in my commentary. You are the one that seems to be fishing for prejudice. I will watch the show and reserve a more analytical review for later.

    I will say if she can maintain at least some sense of intellect similar to Anthony Bourdain, then my argument is moot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT'S A TRAVEL SHOW! It's doing EXACTLY what a travel show is supposed to do, show people new places to go, where to go when they get there, and what to do. This is not a program that's supposed to be educational, neither is any other TRAVEL show. The point of a travel show is so people can get a sneak peek of a place they might want to go. Not to learn everything there is to know about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I guess we are supposed to look at pretty pictures and drool. Such mediocrity.

    ReplyDelete